1. Opening Christmas Day . . . “Destroyer“ (R) . . . Nicole Kidman is a cop who’s haunted by the death of her partner in an old undercover assignment, but forces herself to reconnect with their old gang members after she recognizes a fresh murder victim. Tatiana Maslany from “Orphan Black” and Bradley Whitford are also in it.
2. Opening Christmas Day . . . “Vice“ (R) . . . Christian Bale plays Dick Cheney in a movie about how he became one of the most influential vice presidents of all time. The rest of the cast includes Sam Rockwell as George W. Bush, Amy Adams as Lynne Cheney, and Steve Carrell as Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.
3. Opening Christmas Day . . . “On the Basis of Sex“ (PG-13) . . . Felicity Jones plays Ruth Bader Ginsburgin the true story of her fight against gender discrimination in a landmark case where she argued that a man who quit his job to take care of his sick mother is entitled to the same rights the IRS would have given a woman
4. Opening Christmas Day . . . “Holmes and Watson“ (PG-13) . . . Will Farrell is Sherlock Holmes and John C. Reilly is Doctor Watson in a comedy where they have to solve a murder in four days to keep Professor Moriarty from killing the Queen.
Hugh Laurie is in it as Sherlock’s brother, Mycroft Holmes, and Moriarty is played by Voldemort himself, Ralph Fiennes.
PROFANITY WARNING: The trailer has S-words, including the phrase “No [Shh] Sherlock.
5. Opening December 28th . . . “Stan & Ollie“ (PG) . . . John C. Reilly is comedy legend Oliver Hardy and Steve Coogan is his partner Stan Laurel. It’s about their final tour together and the struggle to get enough money for another Laurel and Hardy movie before Hardy’s health takes a turn for the worse.
6. Opening January 4th . . . “Escape Room“ (PG-13) . . . Six strangers are invited to compete in an immersive escape room for a chance at a million bucks. But then they realize they have to escape or DIE, because the deadly traps are real.